I’ve been using Eclipse with Subclipse for quite a long time for my PHP projects, but using the Subclipse plugin had the bad habit of crashing the whole editor. I tried to upgrade the plugin using the built-in frontend, but when that one hung the editor again, I decided to dust off the Netbeans install i had laying around on my system. I installed it months ago, but never looked to it again. One thing that really irks me is that all the ‘good’ IDE’s seem to be written in Java, which I really happen to dislike..

Anyways, to make Netbeans at least reasonably OK in the easy-on-the-eyes dept., I enabled AA. as explained here:

In /etc/netbeans.conf, add the following line: “-J-Dswing.aatext=true -J-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on” to the netbeans_default_options variable.

Restart Netbeans and your fonts will be AA’ed 😉

Now let’s hope Netbeans is stable..